OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2011

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 23 Oct 2011 08:55:21 -0400348_- A very gracious thank you to Dansen and Leanne Brown for welcoming me to
their home saturday to band the selasphorus hummingbird! (it was an easy sell
as their daughter is a bander currently in AZ trained by jed burtt, jr. thanks
jed!)

banding confirms this a hatch year, male rufous hummingbird. (born this past
summer). [...]42_23Oct201108:55:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2011 13:50:08 -0400
Tuesday, October 11 - 10:30 a.m.

Lo and behold there is some water in the "lake" at the Englewood Main
Metropark.  Today we've seen some of the first shorebirds in nearly two  years!

There is some open water, but most of the shorebirds are in the low-growth
weedy areas in the water.  Some were very close to the parking lot
overlooking the small half-acre size puddle.  Below is our count, but there  appear
to be a lot more in the "weeds" that were just a little too tall for  clear
views.

Solitary sp - 7
Spotted sp - 4
Lesser yellowlegs - 5