OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2011

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Oct 2011 12:21:40 -0400
Hi all,

This question has come up in the past--not to pick out anyone in particular,
but it would be helpful if everyone would remember to indicate where their
sightings were--the more specific, the more helpful. Even if Scott Pendleton
has been posting his surveys every week, some of us have trouble remembering
such details...and that seems to be getting worse...

Thanks.

Good birding

PS--Beth and I went down to the Cleveland lakefront this morning in the
hopes of seeing some waterfowl riding the winds in--maybe it was too
windy--the waves were dramatic, but they put on a better show than the
birds--at the Dike 14 turning basin, Gordon Park, East 55th Steet and around
Muni Light, we had lost of Canada Geese, lots of Ring-billed Gulls, LOTS of
Double-crested Cormorants (hundreds), some Mallards, and that was about
it...

On 10/1/11 11:55 AM, "Scott Pendleton" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> My weekly grassland sparrow survey was wet but interesting. GRSP and SASP
> still common with 7 and
> 17 respectively. Last Henslow was 9/20, few FISP around, last Vesper 9/17.
> Approx 250 TRSW were slowly working the fields at weed top level. THey would
> periodically land or
> hoover and pick the torpid grasshoppers off the weeds. I saw one bird grasping
> a large grasshopper
> in its beak by a rear leg. It flew 50 ft up and dropped the insect swooping
> down and re-catching it.
> She did this three times until she caught it in a position it could be
> swallowed on the wing.
> Only other birds of note were an American Golden Plover- a first county record
> for me- and three
> Harriers.

> Additional discussions can be found in our forums, at
> www.ohiobirds.org/forum/.

Steve Cagan, photographer
www.stevecagan.com
www.pbase.com/stevecagan