OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2023

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2023 13:48:21 -0400
The rain had just stopped when I got to Denison and the first bird I spotted was by the parking lot— a Rose-breasted Grosbeak feeding on some berries. There was a fair amount of warbler activity with wet birds busy foraging & gleaning in between chasing each other. Small push of BT Green & Bay-breasted or at least those were the most numerous. A N Parula was singing again but I was not able to spot it. A Redstart sang a little as well. Only a few Thrushes besides robins—just Swainson’s.

Morris woods had pretty much the same mix of warblers and I didn’t pick up any new warbler species there today. I arrived later than usual and it was fairly quiet altho the warblers were closer & lower. An accipiter bombed through—by size alone I thought Sharpie but I barely saw it. Scattered the warbler flock I’d been watching.

Last night I heard a Wood Thrush from the Granville bike path—just its alarm call.

Denison
Warblers
BT Green
Bay-breasted
B&W
Tennessee
Nashville
Blackpoll
Blackburnian
Am Redstart
Magnolia
Com YT

Denison Vireos
Red-eyed
White-eyed incl one w/o a tail
Warbling

Rose-breasted Grosbeak—at least one, possibly 2
Brown Thrasher
Pileated WP
Hairy WP
E Peewee
Empid sp
Field Sparrow
RT Hummingbird
Red-shouldered Hawk
Wood Duck

Morris Woods
Warblers—same list as Denison except no Nashville

Red-eyed Vireo incl a begging juv chasing an adult & getting fed
E Peewee
Empid sp
Pileated WP
Hairy WP