OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2021

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 2021 15:47:06 -0400
I was hoping for birds in flight! Theres Least Bittern and Marsh Wrens
at Fernald. the non public access areas though. Post breeding wandering
should be happening soon! Alas no Least Bittern at Gilmore still. I even
lugged the scope...... Stuck on 203 for my big year.

Nice to hear Prothonotary still singing. Setting up its territory for another
brood? It was singing and moving around a section of the swamp near the
parking area.

I was looking for kites and pink birds! No luck.

Nature notes - Gilmore was loaded with odes. I just noticed just the common
species. And first time in awhile no Cuckoos!

Forgetful me forgot the Merlin I had behind the church at Chillicothe last week.
Good thing I managed a pic! I go to enter into my checklist and lo and behold
I forgot it. I've done that before! Another nesting pair near there? Post breeding
wandering? These breeding Merlins are a great birding event for the area. I thought
they bred in Canada and north Maine. Of course a Neotropic Corm nested here!

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini