OHIO-BIRDS Archives

April 2019

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Lisa Brohl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Brohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2019 14:30:58 -0400
It is starting to look like spring here with the tree swallows showing up at the grid at the Scheeff East Point Nature Preserve on South Bass last week as reported by Jackie Taylor.

Elizabeth Heineman and I saw our first eastern phoebe of the season at the Massie Cliffside Preserve on South Bass Island as well as lots of golden-crowned kinglets. There were still dark-eyed juncos present. Have seen white-throated sparrows at the feeder this week too.

Red-breasted mergansers, lesser scaup, bufflehead, common goldeneye, and a few horned grebes are found offshore and in the harbor. Bonaparte's gulls were offshore at the Scheeff East Point Preserve. Belted kingfisher were seen in two locations and a great blue heron and wood duck reported at the pond earlier in the week.

Large numbers of turkey vultures are migrating through and spending time on the islands. Three red-tailed hawks were seen as well.

Flocks of red-winged blackbirds (males), common grackles and a few cowbirds are cleaning out island bird feeders on their way through!

Lisa Brohl