OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2022

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 2022 13:11:39 -0400
Things started slow this chilly morning but once it got going, it was great birding. I had a large mixed flock feeding in the same area for nearly an hour. It was great except the warblers were often a layer back in the brighter sun and I had to stand in the rather cold shade to view them but I wasn’t really complaining. It was great to see 2-4+ of each species instead of just single birds. Definitely seem to be a mini-fall out of Blackpolls & N Parulas. Couldn’t get on all of them but it was fun trying.

While I was watching the big flock, a YB Cuckoo flew in, scattering the nearby warblers.I watched it feast on caterpillars.

when things quieted down, I went looking for stragglers & skulkers to see if I could add any more species. As I walked a back trail where I’ve seen Mourning Warblers in the fall, I spotted a largish skulker w/a greenish back buried in a thick bush only a few feet from me. I kept v still & suddenly it popped up on a low branch—another CT! With a complete eye ring that could stop a clock—I was amazed. It stared at me for several seconds then dove into the snakeroot not to be seen again. Wow.

Beautiful fall morning to be out. Forgot to mention that I saw a mink yesterday, a nice consolation prize for the poor birding day.

Warblers
Connecticut
B&W
N Parula