OHIO-BIRDS Archives

May 2023

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2023 18:04:24 -0400
I hit the marsh where the Gallinules breed. I am assuming they breed there,
I could be wrong, I’ll know more come July. It’s a great wetland area at the
North end of Gilmore. I will be exploring more. Anyway, 2 heard only.

The swallow show has been fantastic around the area! I hope the birds were finding
Insects to eat in this cold weather. I have had all five at a couple spots in the county.
Plus martins and numbers of Swifts. Yesterday I was at a spot on the Great Miami.
I forget the name of it…… anyway, I am learning that the dam and falls areas along
The river can be great. That must concentrate food somehow. I don't know rivers.
I know mudflats and tides…..
I was hoping for L. Waterthrush at this spot. A fast moving creek was running
Through it. No. Jinx bird. I am picking up breeders, but migration has been
Slow to say the least!

I hit Ellis wetlands again today. Still no Pec for me! I walked the bike path south
After the crop fields. And on the walk back, the sun started to shine, and I ran
Into a few migrants. Yea! 1 Blackburnian, 1 Palm, and a BH Vireo. Plus YR Warblers.

That path south can be good in the afternoon sun. It’s a swamp area.

I was going to explore Withrow for snails. I want a Limpkin! But ran out of
Time and energy. Maybe Sat. Or Sun afternoon for that.

Butterfly notes - one Clouded Sulphur as the sun started to emerge.

It’s still NW winds in Cin. Thursday. But sunny and warmer. Hopefully migration
Picks up!

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini