OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2018 13:31:47 -0400
I stopped at several spots around this reservoir north of Dublin, as well
as parts of the Dublin Scioto Gorge, while avoiding St.Patrick's Day
celebrations in downtown Dublin. I stopped at Donegal Cliffs and Amberleigh
Park in the Gorge, and the dam, Twin Lakes, and Home Rd and Rutherford Rd
access areas along the reservoir. Not much in the way of early landbird
migrants, with a few exceptions, but waterfowl were notable on the
reservoir.  Included in the morning list were:

LesserScaup - small flocks both at the dam and off Rutherford Rd
Mergansers - Red-breasted flocks at Home Rd and Rutherford Rd, 6 Commons at
Rutherford Rd, 8-10 Hoodies at Twin Lakes
Other Waterfowl - the dam had a flock of 25 cormorants; Horned Grebes were
in several spots
Vultures - Turkey Vultures in many spots, withe a roost at the dam
numbering 30+; that roost also had 1 Black Vulture
Hawks - Red-tails at many spots, but an adult Red-shouldered was at Twin
Lakes
Bluebirds - singers were at twin Lakes and Home Rd
Mockingbird - 1 was along the river at Amberleigh Park
Blackbirds - Red-wings and Grackles were widespread, but not numerous
Fox Sparrow - 1 was with a flock of White-throateds in a thicket at Twin
Lakes