OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2017

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2017 09:48:57 -0800
  Hi, Mary:  I noticed your post because I enjoy looking for Owls, and Woodpeckers.  I grew up around Akron and the Cuyahoga River.  I think your thinking is right on target.  Here in northern Illinois, we mostly have flat farmlands.  I drive around in the mornings and evenings looking for Snowy Owls in the colder months.  A few years ago, I was driving along an east/west road after a series of snowstorms, and the plows had cleared the roads, piling up about 5 foot drifts along the south side of the road.  I usually travel about 15 miles an hour on the less-trafficked roads looking for Snowy Owl sightings.  As I approached a low point in the road, I noticed that some melting had started and a section of the road in front of me had a trail of ice about nine feet wide running across the road from the plowed snow drift to my south.  As I hit the ice, it started cracking with loud noises.  A flash of white flew up my right beyond the drifts.  I stopped, backed up, and got out to look across the snow drift.  Out about 40 feet in the field, two snowy owls looked back at me.  Having my ever-present camersa, I took a few pics over the top of the car.  One spotted, one very white... Hmmm, thought I, perhaps a pair?  I didn't stay long as my assumption was that they had been hunkering down on the south side of the drift to get out of the wind.  By their only flying forty feet before landing, and looking back at me, I imagined that they were thinking, "I wish he would leave so we can go back to our little shelter from the wind."  So, I did, but the next day, I came back, and checked out the south side of the snow drift.  There were certainly many small crevices in the snow drift where they could have escaped the wind.  Since then, I make a special effort to watch the prevailing winds, and any local geographic bluffs, or hills, or snow banks along the backroads.  I will attempt to attach a photo to this reply.

As Ever, Orin Keplinger in Boone county, near Chicago.