OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2021

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
James Smallwood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Smallwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2021 09:51:42 -0400
The Conneaut Sandspit may be open to be driven out on this weekend for the first time in several years. The sand is not solid so two wheel drive vehicles will travel at their own risk and 4 wheel drive vehicles are recommended. When the gate house is occupied its $5 to drive out. I was told by the Port Authority yesterday that they will not be charging birders for driving out as long as you let them know you are a birder. As they told me yesterday, birders can allways be trusted to take care of the spit.  If you see any shenanigans taking place out there let the Port Authority know at the gate house or the public boat ramp. The public vehicle access may not be appreciated by all but it gives an opportunity for folks that can’t walk the mile round trip to see shorebirds they might not otherwise get a chance to see.

Jim Smallwood