OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2021

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 2021 23:07:26 -0400
After seeing Rob Thorn’s post and not having seen or heard the cicadas yet, I headed off in the heat to Battelle Darby this morning. The Indian trail area was new for me—never got around to checking it out before today & it was the only area I checked out.

The din of cicadas was just amazing and watching them fly around and seeing them up close was pretty cool. I thought Granville would have cicadas but I’ve not heard or seen any. I finally have fireflies in my yard tho.

 Birding was OK although I did not have as big a list as Rob had.

Highlight was a YB Cuckoo bursting out of the woods as I was on the river shore, startling me as it zoomed past me so close I almost felt its wing on my cheek. It flew across the river and perched in a sycamore. I did not hear or see any Black-billeds.

 Lots of Wood Thrushes singing. I heard one KY warbler on the Terrace Trail & Com YTs by the road out.

Peewees, Acadian and Great Crested FCs. Indigo Buntings.

I looked/listened for a blue grosbeak but dipped on that.

It was getting pretty hot and sticky so I called it a morning. Pretty area—always fun to find a new spot.

Peggy Wang
Granville
Sent from my iPhone