OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2018 16:12:44 +0000
The weather looked like it might be good for bird movement, so i birded Lake Erie Bluffs this morning from 7:00-10:20 this morning. I watched the lake for a couple hours and then walked the trails. The lake watch was decent with about 4,000 gulls flying by. Among them was a 2nd cycle GLAUCOUS GULL. Waterfowl were again fairly slow. Other than 700+ red-breasted mergansers, there were only 4 bufflehead and 4 scaup spp.. The best bird was an immature POMARINE JAEGER. The bird flew by low over the water heading west.

There were a lot of songbirds in the area with about 417 robins counted. There were big flocks all through the park. Of note with the songbirds were a gray catbird and immature mockingbird in the same crab apple tree and a fox sparrow in another. I did walk to the south end of the property and saw very little activity in the dump area.

Lake Erie Bluffs Metropark--Lane Rd., Lake, Ohio, US
Nov 27, 2018 7:00 AM - 10:20 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.2 mile(s)
Comments:     Cloudy with occasional light flurries, 32-33 degrees, Winds Northwest 20-300 decreasing to 15-20 mph. Snow cover .5" by the lake to 2" at the south end. I watched the lake from 7:00-9:00 the wolked the trails from 9:00-10:20
35 species (+1 other taxa)

Greater/Lesser Scaup  4
Bufflehead  4
Red-breasted Merganser  784
Pomarine Jaeger  1     The bird was observed flying low over the water and was heading west. It passed by a couple ring-billed gulls, but did not veer from its flight. It appeared to be the same size as them if not slight larger. The head and wings were a uniform dark brown. The rump appeared a little lighter. There was a small white flash in the upper and lower wings. It appeared to have the double flash in the underwing. The double flash, pale rump, and dark head made me believe Pomarine jaeger.  The birds flight appeared more powerful than the ring-billed gulls.
Ring-billed Gull  1771
Herring Gull  2314
Glaucous Gull  1     2nd winter bird
Great Black-backed Gull  8
Common Loon  6
Northern Harrier  1     Flying low over the lake
Cooper's Hawk  1
Bald Eagle  8     2 adults, 6 immatures
Red-tailed Hawk  3
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Downy Woodpecker  3
Northern Flicker  3
Blue Jay  5
Black-capped Chickadee  6
Tufted Titmouse  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Carolina Wren  1
Golden-crowned Kinglet  1
Eastern Bluebird  3
Hermit Thrush  1
American Robin  417
Gray Catbird  1
Northern Mockingbird  1
European Starling  92
House Finch  11
American Goldfinch  5
American Tree Sparrow  4
Fox Sparrow  1     One bird feeding in a crab apple tree
Dark-eyed Junco  3
White-throated Sparrow  19
Song Sparrow  1
Northern Cardinal  24