OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2017

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2017 22:02:20 -0500
I spent the first two hours of this morning today at Lorain Harbor. The
snowy owl reported on the breakwall yesterday was more cooperative today.
It was sitting on a nice snag against a grassy background only 100ft or so
off the parking lot. Lots of people got some really nice photos. I also saw
two of the three red phalaropes that were reported yesterday. These were
against the steel wall below the water treatment plant at the mouth of the
Black River. I parked on the west side of the river in the badly rutted
parking area that leads to the old fishing pier. They were across the river
with 50 or so Bonaparte's gulls. Nothing else unusual there.

Not much of interest at Avon power plant or Bradstreet Landing (except
10,000 or more red-breasted mergansers). At Rocky River park, there were
three black scoters and one white-winged scoter. The latter was quite close
to shore, presenting excellent views. There were several loons at each
location, but all were common loons.  Randy Rowe, Wooster