OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2023

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 2023 19:45:59 -0400
Well, the weather didn’t help! We didn’t have the downpours that you more
Northerly folks had. Still…. Wind and misty rain. And overcast. Mary c. joined
Me for 3/4 of my run. I played it as a big day. As much as I could. Hitting
Different habitats and all. Only I couldn’t start til 9:30. I don’t think that mattered
Much with the weather! Gilmore metro park - Tennessee warblers, Yellow rumped,
Nashville, Common yellowthroat. I was pleasantly surprised with the sparrows.
White crowned and Lincoln’s were had as well as the usual swamp, field,
White throated, etc. Peregrine falcon was nice. Sapsucker. Etc. gb heron.
I couldn’t track down a chippie.

Brate Rd. Pond was a last minute choice. I needed waterfowl! Both Teal, shoveler,
Were there. Too windy to try for marsh wren. Mallard - why not there….. oh boy….
Big days….. we did have many elsewhere….. phew.

One lone great egret caught my eye as we drove out.

Hueston woods was good. The dam area had nothing much - but the strong winds
And misty rain didn’t help that! Our only RB Gulls.

The woods area at the banding stations was lovely to bird. Picked up GC kinglet,
Hairy woodpecker, Barred Owl! Winter wren, etc.

I drove the farm field areas on my drive home. Kestrel, house sparrow!! Bluebird.
Ended up with 60. Seems very poor. Maybe 75 a good number with good weather?
And not misses like titmouse??!! Our big miss. Towhee, Cooper’s hawk, gadwall
somewhere? Etc. no Pilated calling today?! No rock pigeon….. do you know how
Many I had in Hamilton county as I drove home?? A couple hundred…….
Birds.

Good birding all. I was going to try and make the ASO salamander trip on Sunday.
But am iffy now. Need to relax!

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini