OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2017

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2017 09:12:46 -0400
Over the past couple of days groups of sandhill cranes have been
reported in the on their way back from Canadian breeding grounds. Their
migratory movements from there can carry them over Ohio, especially in
our southwest. They may pass over quite high, but their groups often
talk in flight, and call attention to their passing.
        Both of America's cranes, the sandhill and the whooping, follow roughly
similar routes on migration. Their appearances vary, with young birds
more similar than the adults; adult whoopers are prominent, being
larger, whiter (even the young are paler). Care should be taken; some
experts--Audubon was one--regarded the cranes to be of one species.
        The whooping crane is NOT on Ohio's official list, for lack of a
specimen. I believe this is a mistake, and I hope to help remedy this
confusion. Sight observations won't do it, nor will calls; a specimen
is called for. Unfortunately Ohio specimens of whoopers are hard to
find, even though there are many reports from the old days. Anyway, the
migration has begun in earnest, and what remains of crane movements
are possible. Keep your ears and eyes ready.........
Bill Whan