OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2022

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Tracy the Birder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy the Birder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2022 20:26:31 -0400
Today I went to Buck Creek State Park to look for the Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker first seen by Doug Overacker and Julie Karlson.  I parked at the picnic / frisbee-golf area and walked north along the lakeview / bridle trail.  I spotted the Sapsucker very quickly, and sure enough, it was tapping on a metal part of the tall power pole immediately north of the picnic / frisbee-golf access road.  I also noticed a fresh woodpecker nesting hole very near it.

I continued on the lakeview / bridle trail heading north, attempting to hear the Kentucky Warbler also reported by Overacker & Karlson.  About 50 yards north along the trail after it crosses the road that leads to the campgrounds area, there is a side path through the woods that heads to the right (east).  I went along this trail for 100 yards or so and heard both a singing Veery and a singing Black & White Warbler.  After some time I managed to get photos of them both.

Here's the link to the eBird report-

https://ebird.org/checklist/S113544919

I also spent some time at the Prairie View area of Buck Creek, and got a photo of an American Redstart.  There were several trees down in this area because of last week's storm which included a tornado hopping over.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S113545291

The mulberrys are in season and the birds and animals are feasting upon them!

Good birding and stay hydrated this summer,

Tracy the Birder
https://seasonsflow.wordpress.com/
http://ebird.org/ebird/profile/MzIzNzgx/US-OH