OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2023

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2023 19:26:25 -0500
I finally made the trip north to try for the Slaty-backed Gull (OH #304) and Harlequin Ducks (#305). The gull was a challenge for me as I had only seen it once before, decades ago in Alaska, so I didn’t exactly have a vivid memory of it.

I actually located the bird on my own but then talked myself out of the ID but later, a couple birders familiar with the gull pointed out the same bird I’d been looking at before they got there as being the bird! I’m grateful for their help (thanks Tim and Chuck). The gull was not particularly close so a scope is a must. It was closer to the breakwater & stayed W of the lighthouse.

It was a lovely day to be out on the pier, almost warm, which made sorting through hundreds of gulls much more enjoyable.

 If there’s anyone who still needs it, looking for the broad white crescent near the rump (tertials) was, for me, the easiest field mark to pick out esp at a distance. I ended up getting great scope views & saw it fly short distances.

We also got great views of a couple Iceland/Thayer’s gulls plus a few Lesser & Great Black-backed Gulls. I saw at least one Bonaparte’s amidst 100’s of Ring-necked & Herring Gulls. Small group of Red-breasted Mergs, some Buffleheads & one Coot. Many DC Cormorants.

The Harlequin Ducks were much easier. 4 were sitting on the rocks & I could ID them as I drove into the parking lot. Another bird I haven’t seen for many years. I watched as a couple swam & dove but mostly they were preening or resting on the rocks.

Gorgeous day to be out—managed to miss bad traffic as well.

Peggy Wang
Granville

Sent from my iPhone