OHIO-BIRDS Archives

May 2017

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2017 22:21:09 -0400
I spent 7-11am this morning walking down roads that run west from  Rt. 83
south of Wooster and drop into the Killbuck Marsh. These roads are Messner,
Clark, and Force. Messner is a through road and can have traffic sometimes,
Clark usually has very little, and Force has none, since you park at the
gate and walk from there. At Messner, I heard two YB Chats, saw several
Crested Flycatchers, one Red-headed Woodpecker and a Pileated, one really
nice Prothonotary Warbler, and several willow flycatchers. At Clark, there
was a wood thrush singing and a female trumpeter swan sitting on her nest
just past where the road enters the marsh.

Force (from the east side) is one of my favorite birding places and there
is usually no one there. Just at the gate, I saw a Redstart, a
Yellow-bellied cuckoo, and several Acadian Flycatchers. The highlight,
halfway down the hill towards the marsh, was a pair of Orchard Orioles
feeding on the white umbel flowers of tall weeds growing at the edge of the
road. They must have been finding tiny insects in the flowers, because I
watched them through my scope for over 5 minutes as they hung upside down
and many other poses working these flowers. It was really special. Further
down the road, I saw a White-eyed Vireo, an Indigo Bunting, and heard
another Chat. Driving past some country homes on the way out, I found a
Brown Thrasher in the yard.   Randy Rowe, Wooster