OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2023

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2023 20:13:04 -0400
I did hit Hueston Woods yesterday. Nothing new for the Butler big year.
Nice to see Gulls! Ring billed are flocking there. This was the Preble county
Marina area though……when enough gulls are there and flying around, I will
Scan from the dam area. Which is Butler. I walked the dam to the spillway.
And found shorebirds feeding at the waterfall area and down in the spillway!
Least and Semipalmated sandpipers, spotted sandpipers, killdeer.
Nothing new though…. A young Bald Eagle was sitting in the spillway.
That was different! I searched for the Limpkin at the group campgrounds
No success! I keep striking out with an August Limpkin! Not as many swallows
Here as I had in Butler on Monday. Rough wingeds are staging at the
Riverside Natural area.

I hit Sharon Woods this morning after an appointment. No August Limpkin….
In fact very slow. Mallards and wood ducks flocking - staging - there.

Odes notes - Hueston Woods was good! With Widow Skimmers and
Prince Baskettails around in very good numbers.  I had a darner that I couldn’t
Get on well. Swamp? Next time.

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini