OHIO-BIRDS Archives

May 2021

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 2021 21:00:14 -0400
We had no gulls, or terns, or night birding....but not bad!
Hardly any warblers around. I echo Terry on that. 100 is
very easily doable. Next year maybe! With some night birding
and a better knowledge of how to run the counties and where
the breeders are. Highland, Brown, and Adams counties. And
we picked up new species at every spot we hit!

Jen Broome joined me. Weather - cold..... what on earth
was that! I had my winter coat and hat on for the morning....
Miles - Say around 80. Mostly driving. That was from our
first stop - old highland gravel pits to our last - Adams state
Park. Hours - 8:15 to 5:40 or so. I was going to start earlier,
but a broken house heater and emergency call in to service
delayed me! Always something...... house was toasty warm
when I walked in at 7:00 tonight thankfully!

Surprises - 2 RB Mergs at the Old Highland Quarry pits.
Dickcissels close enough for me to hear there. Nice!
Semipalm Plover - on the bank of the old quarry pit.

Best bird we watched - a Pileated destroying a pine tree at adams
park! That bark was flying off in chunks!

Last species - WB Nuthatch. Thanks Jen!

First bird - Rock pigeon.......

Big misses - too many! But I didn't know where to hit for these!
Next year! Cliff and Bank Swallow, Osprey, RB Gull...!?
No Cuckoos. No empis but Least. Acadian  must breed in the area??
No flicker. No Bobolink. Arent they around that Highland old quarry pit??
No Grasshopper sparrow - but with my lousy hearing I wasn't expecting
that!

Etc. Only 8 species of warbler.

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller