OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2017

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ken Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Nov 2017 07:05:48 -0500
Wilderness Road on the south edge of Funk Bottoms in Wayne County is
currently flooded at the peat pits. We first entered the road on the west
end from Funk Road and found a large concentration of Tundra Swans and 202
Sandhill Cranes viewed via scope on the north side of the road across the
agricultural fields. This is the largest number of Sandhills we have
counted at Funk!

We then went to the east end of Wilderness Road, entering from Elyria Road
and waited until sunset. Two Short-eared Owls and a Northern Harrier were
hunting over the field east of the bridge. Other birders noted Greater
White-fronted Geese and a Cackling Goose flying over with flocks of
Canadas.

A pretty nice way to spend Thanksgiving Eve.

Ken Ostermiller
Westfield Center