OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2017

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2017 20:29:45 -0500
I was at Sims Park on the Lake Erie shore in Euclid today from 3-3:45 pm. A
stiff wind was blowing and the Lake was quite rough with whitecaps. From
the west side of the park, at the cement pavement viewing area above the
beach, I spotted all three species of scoters. There were several small
rafts of 10-15 scoters that could be seen in various directions. One raft
that was fairly close to shore was mostly surf scoters and one black.
Another was all black scoters. There was one white-winged scoter, that kept
away from the rafts and fairly close to shore, that was seen well. A scope
is required for all, particularly to distinguish the three species.

In addition to the scoters, there were 5-6 common loons, 3 horned grebes,
one pair of redheads and ten or so common goldeneyes. When I arrived, there
was an enormous flock of 100s of red-breasted mergansers massing just off
the shore, along with 50+ bonaparte's gulls, but they soon moved away.
There was lots to see at Sims Park this afternoon, but with the 3-4ft
waves, it was difficult to get anything but approximate counts of any
species. Randy Rowe, Wooster