OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2022

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Sep 2022 17:32:05 -0400
Mary C. and I had a great morning on the ASO trip to Shawnee lookout this
Morning. Sun would have helped, but all our eyes picked out those warblers!
Ann - leader. With help from Luke. And we all helped each other get on the birds.
I learned a couple spots for fall migration. The canoe launch and just the road
Through Shawnee. More exact location there in my ebird report. I am sure
Even more birdy with a sunny edge. At least no rain.

1 Black and White
5 Tennessee
1 Nashville
2 Redstarts
1 Parula
1 Magnolia
3 Bay breasted
2 Blackburnian
4 BT Greens
And a possible chestnut sided. A poor look.

These are just what I saw. A flock of 110 Grackles came through.  Birds are
Flocking.

Lost bridge - noonish. Everything still in the gravel pit here. River is getting lower
Though!

Highlights -
Well, the Western! An Ohio and Hamilton bird!
It’s in the gravel pit. The western end. Scope needed - this is Lost bridge after all….
Look for that long, tapered point bill. Thicker at the base. And no, not the bird
I had Thursday when I was there. I had a good look at that bill. Found by Frank.
He called me over when we got there. Nice! I was a bit concerned at first as this
Bird looked really small bodied to me. Either a runt, or those troublesome
Lost bridge distances! It’s a western. Least, both yellowlegs, killdeer, Semipalm
Plovers, pecs. Still not the number of eagles that were there before the flooding
Rains. Interesting.

And after talking to a couple birders, any trails after very early sept. will go
Down as trails unless I hear. I am the “let’s be sure” birder! I don’t mind sp.

Butterfly notes - Tawny empower at lost bridge. Getting warmer even if no
Sun.

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini