OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Nick Mrvelj <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nick Mrvelj <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2018 19:14:22 -0500
Birders,

John Petruzzi and I made the most of the partly sunny conditions to squeeze in a few hours of birding this morning/early afternoon. After unsuccessfully trying for Eastern-screech Owl pre-sunrise, we hit owl pay dirt at a known location for a GREAT HORNED OWL at the Mill Creek Wildlife Sanctuary. Many of the ponds were frozen over, but there were some patches of open water. Duck diversity was low, and goose diversity was completely homogeneous. There was an adult NORTHERN SHRIKE still hanging out within sight of the viewing platform. While walking the main dike back, we stumbled upon not one, but three COMMON YELLOWTHROATS. Other birds of note included two continuing RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES and a flock of lingering CEDAR WAXWINGS.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50991278

After leaving the sanctuary, we pulled out a few RUSTY BLACKBIRDS and BROWN-HEADED COWBIRDS from a large flock of blackbirds and starlings on Calla Road. Farther on down the road, we lucked into flushing 9 HORNED LARKS from the side of the road. They fortuitously landed nearby the opposite side of the car, from where we could clearly see that the 9th Horned Lark was actually a LAPLAND LONGSPUR.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50991398

Next up, we headed to the "ever difficult to find a decent view", Evans Lake. There were good numbers of gulls and Common Mergansers present. Even without the aid of a scope, we managed to pick out one adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL among the ubiquitous Ring-billed and Herring Gulls. Who knows what else was hiding in the 1500+ gull wad that we weren't able to pick out owing to our optic handicap? We also found a wintering MARSH WREN near the E Middletown Road bridge on the southern section of the lake and a very cooperative MERLIN as well.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50992999

To wrap up our day, we checked in on Pine Lake. It was mainly frozen, with a few RUDDY DUCKS and BUFFLEHEADS breaking up the monotony of Canada Geese and Ring-billed Gulls.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50994224

All told, we saw 57 species today and 3,903 individuals. John reached an impressive 217 species in Mahoning County for the year, a healthy total to be sure. Speaking of which, does anyone know what the Mahoning County calendar year record is?

Good birding everyone!
-Nick Mrvelj (Youngstown native currently residing in Oregon)