OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Terry Bronson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terry Bronson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2018 16:52:28 -0400
Early this morning there were at least 2 Red Crossbills at the archery
range at Lake Hope State Park. I saw 2 birds at the tip top of a pine tree
along the utility line downhill from archery targets 6-8. Unfortunately,
both birds, and a possible 3rd bird seen a bit later in amother tree, were
completely backlit by the sun. However, 2 of the 3 posed briefly in
profile, thus allowing me to see their crossed bills. 1 of the 2 birds seen
in the same tree may have had dark wings, indicating a female. Also, those
2 birds interacted briefly on the far side of the tree. Could have been
copulating, but could have been 1 feeding the other. None showed any red
plumage, but as I said they were all backlit. A photographer present
thought he may have seen as many as 6 birds before they flew off.

Also of interest at the archery range parking lot:

Green Heron--1 heard behind trees along lakeshore
Yellow-billed Cuckoo--1
Yellow-throated Vireo--2
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher--2
Pine Warbler--1
Yellow-throated Warbler--1
Scarlet Tanager--3 females/juveniles and 1 adult male

At the nearby beach there were about 45 Barn Swallows, including many
juveniles.

Along the Little Sandy Trail a Broad-winged Hawk flew by.

Along the Furnace Trail at the Hope Iron Furnace end:

Yellow-billed Cuckoo--1
Belted Kingfisher--2, 1 of which was a juvenile that did not yet have a
crest
Wood Thrush--2, 1 of which was a juvenile

After lunch I went to the nearby Waterloo State Forest driving loop, which
proved to be a very interesting area. At top of the loop, 0.7 mile from
Route 356, there is a pine forest where virtually all the deciduous trees
were removed many years ago. Highlights here included:

Yellow-billed Cuckoo--2 copulating, not once but twice
Red-headed Woodpecker--2 adults and 3 juveniles.
Eastern Wood-Pewee--3
Eastern Bluebird--4
Wood Thrush--1
Cedar Waxwing--1
Pine Warbler--3
Baltimore Oriole--1
Red Crossbill--3. 1 was seen briefly in the scope and proved to be a male.
The other were with him, but not seen well. Since this location is probably
less than 5 miles east of the Lake Hope Archery Range, these could have
been some of the Lake Hope birds, but they also could have been completely
different birds.

And as I got in my car to leave a Bobcat flushed across the road.

Terry Bronson
Vienna, WV