OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jon Cefus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Cefus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2018 06:22:18 -0400
Hello!

The Cinnamon Teal, a remarkably handsome drake, was seen last evening at the end of Force Rd. (West) in Killbuck Marsh in Wayne Co.  I left around 6:30 pm and the bird was present and feeding with a female Blue-winged Teal as an almost constant companion.  It was also chasing away drake Blue-winged Teal that got too close to the female.

The bird was located most easily by actually standing on the small rise in the parking area (on the left side if facing the gate) as this provides some elevation to find the bird.  Facing the gate, the bird was working the 2nd pool to the right side of where the road ends at the bridge.  It was staying with a group of Blue-winged Teal and they were in constant motion.  Thanks to Kent Miller for giving me some pointers on finding the bird, as I had been there for over 45 minutes without luck standing at the end of the path, which is closer, but with almost no elevation.  Good luck!

While there, don’t miss out on the pretty nice duck diversity.  Other species included: Green-winged Teal, Wood Ducks, Gadwall, American Wigeon, Mallards, Ring-necked Ducks, American Black Ducks, Northern Shovelers, Northern Pintail, Hooded Mergansers, and Scaup.  Sandhill Cranes were calling often as they most certainly are setting up nesting sites.  There is also a large Great Blue Heron rookery visible via scope with at least 50 birds setting up shop.

Happy birding!

Jon Cefus
Stark Co.