OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Timothy Jasinski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Timothy Jasinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2018 23:24:48 -0500
Ducks, mainly diving ducks, may need help with these cold temperatures so
here's what to look for.

Divers such as these Long-tailed Ducks (that came in today) along with
Mergansers, Scaup, Canvasback, Redheads and more are basically helpless on
land. They often confuse icy roads and parking lots for open water and once
they land on the ground they're stuck there. With the lake freezing up they
will be looking for more open water once open holes start to get crowded.
In a situation where you find a diving duck like this in the Cleveland
area, place the bird in a box with air holes, no food or water, keep in a
dark quiet place and get to us at Lake Erie Nature & Science Center in Bay
Village (we specialize in waterfowl, especially divers) or another licensed
rehabber asap.

One of these Long-tailed Ducks was found in a Home Depot parking lot with
ice frozen to its vent and tail, similar to what was happening to the
Ross's Goose in Summit County. The folks that found it were going to take
it to the lake and release it but I suggested it would be best if we looked
her over. Well it's good we did because she weighs 352 grams and should be
at least 800. She is so weak there is no way she would have the energy to
dive for food. She would surely have died, just as the Ross's did today.

With Lake Erie predicted to freeze over 90% in the next few days, the birds
that didn't migrate may be getting into trouble all over the place,
especially adjacent to the lake.

Rehabbers are trained to notice certain behaviours in wildlife that may not
be easy for other folks to see. Squinted eyes, lethargy, ice build-up,
puffiness are all signs birds may need help. These are actually signs given
right before death, usually. Birds won't appear skinny like a mammal. Birds
wait until the last possible moment before they show signs they are in
trouble, it's protects them from predation. It gives them a last-ditch
effort to continue life.

Birders are so good at what they do! They pay perfect attention to detail.
They know when a bird is different. They know what sticks out as unusual.
They pick out that rarity in a flock of thousands.

This is what rehabbers do, just in a different way. We can tell when a
behaviour is off even though it seems fine to most other people. It's
innate sometimes. It's hard to explain.

If you think you may have a bird in trouble, give us a call for advice
anytime or your nearest Center! 1-440-471-8357 <(440)%20471-8357>.

Here is a link to Ohio rehabbers.

http://owra.org/find

www.owra.org