OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2021

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 2021 13:59:55 -0400
The family of Merlins is still hanging around the same general area but they are more dispersed. I walked around the block checking different trees and listening for them. This paid off with decent looks a few times incl a food drop off. I saw two on the roof of the house on the corner when I first got there. One of the neighbors was kind enough to let a few of us into their backyard so we could get better looks at 2 birds. This after watching one of Merlins take a mourning dove baby in their yard.

Just before I left I saw one bird that I think was the adult fly into a catalpa tree causing much commotion and bird alarm noises, then it flew out with what I think was a Cardinal. It brought it into the big maple in the front yard to eat but of course was mostly obscured behind a branch but it was still pretty cool to watch.

The neighbors are quite chatty and I found out that the merlins used to nest on the library property but the library cut those trees down so they nested in the ginkgo tree this year.  Apparently it’s an old Cooper’s Hawk‘s nest and the Cooper’s moved down a couple blocks.

Peggy Wang
Granville

Sent from my iPhone