OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2017

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2017 14:27:50 -0500
Continuing to scout for the Columbus CBC, I spent some time at stops along
the Scioto River near downtown Columbus, from Long St Dam south through
Scioto Audubon and Berliner Parks down to Haul Rd.  Common landbirds, and
their attendant raptors, were numerous, but waterfowl were not much in
evidence.  Notables included:

Waterfowl - geese and mallards in several places, but the only 'migrant'
ducks were 16 Hooded Mergansers down at Haul Rd.

Cormorants - only had 1 along the river and another 2 down at Haul Rd

Raptors - Red-tailed Hakws at several locations, and also had a Cooper's
Hawk near the Grange Center (probably stalking the feeders there).  Also
had 2 Bald Eagles chasing over the I-270 east of the River.

Catbird - one was calling and feeding in the scrubby bushes just west of
the Grange Center at Scioto Audubon

Mockingbird - one was in the bushes just north of the Grange Center.
Couldn't find any thrasher to complete the trifecta, though.

Kinglets - Golden-crowns were fairly common in the riparian areas along the
river.  Berliner had the high with 4.

Sparrows - Songs and White-throated were numerous at most stops, but there
was little else.