OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2009

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Oct 2009 18:51:58 -0700
I went to Wildwood State Park in Cleveland today and only arrived at noon but stayed to sunset to make up for my missed time.  I birded with Mark Anderson from 12:00 to 2pm when he had to leave.  I found another Prairie Warbler.  Mark found one earlier in the week.  It never really rained but it got very dark and then sunny before it was dark again and birds continued to be found throughout the day in spurts.  The winds really picked up later in the afternoon.  Here are some of the birds I saw today:

American Coot 1
Black-crowned Night-Heron 1 adult (sleeping all afternoon)
Chimney Swifts - over 10
Northern Flickers - 8+
Eastern Wood-Pewee 2
Red-eyed Vireo 1
Tufted Titmouse 4-5, Black-capped Chickadees - many
Red-breasted Nuthatch 2, White-breasted 2
Brown Creepers - 10+
Winter Wrens - 12+
Golden-crowned Kinglets ~ 12, Ruby-crowned - 20+
Swainsons Thrush 1
Hermit Thrush 2 (first I have seen)
Brown Thrasher 1

Warblers:
Orange-crowned 1
Nashville  10-12
Northern Parula 1
Magnolia 9-10
Black-throated Blue 3 (2m + 1f together)
Yellow-rumped 5-6
Black-throated Green 2
PRAIRIE 1 (west side of Euclid Creek south of Bathhouse)
Baybreasted 1
Blackpoll 3
Black-and-White 2
American Redstart  7-8
Common Yellowthroat 1

White-throated Sparrows  at least 50

Bats - 2 (first seen around 5pm above woods east of road - then seen some after 6:30 flying along the asphalt path west side of creek south of bathhouse - would fly back and forth same circuit. I don't think I have seen these here before.

I did not see the Prairie Warbler long enough to get pictures this time before it disappeared in thick growth and the Orange-crowned Warbler moved around too much.  But I do try.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/