OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2008

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 11 Jul 2008 19:39:20 -0400602_UTF-8 I visited a series of sites along this Franklin County creek below where most people think to bird. Starting at the Confluence Area of 3-Creeks Park, I surveyed different stretches of the creek all the way down to its junction with the Scioto River. In this portion of greater Columbus, the riparian strip of the creek is often squeezed between warehouses, small farm fields, and quarries new and old. The diversity of birds was OK for such a well-trammeled area, but there were no jaw-dropping surprises like Night Herons. Best birds were concentrated in the few larger patches of riparian [...]44_11Jul200819:39:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2008 07:14:46 -0700
Greetings---I spent some time atlasing in Ashtabula Co. yesterday 7/15.  Started out at Conneaut Harbor at dawn hoping for shorebirds.  There were only a few in the morning, including lesser yellowlegs, semipalmated sandpiper, and least sandpipers.  A juv. black-crowned night-heron was a good find (where was it hatched I wonder?).  Bald eagles are probably a daily presence there now.  I was surprised that I didn't notice any migrant yellow warblers.  Swallows were the most conspicuous migrants throughout Ashtabula Co.  In the SW part of Conneaut Twp. I found a few grasshopper sparrows.  Down at Dorset WA I was pleasantly surprised to see an osprey--do they nest here, or was this an early migrant?  Later, Craig