OHIO-BIRDS Archives

April 2020

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bryan Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bryan Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Apr 2020 22:59:56 -0400
My wife and I birded the Five Forks Saturday morning and surrounding areas. Highlights were a colony of Red-headed Woodpeckers, Pine Warblers (14), and we got FOY Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher (6) on the ridge.  Was hoping for some early migrants, but just that.. a little early.

Barn and Tree Swallows circling in some open farmland near Pedro and found (21) Wilson’s Snipe in a damp area.

Sunday morning, I drove over to Lawco Lake and a little further out SR-552.  Lots of Louisiana Waterthrush and Yellow-throated Warblers singing along the a.  At Lawco, highlights were Pied-billed Grebe and both FOY Lesser Scaup and Common Loon.  Great looks at the loon.  It was diving and brought up several Bluegill while I watched.

Some of area around the old Superior Marquette Cement Company looks incredible.  I’ve visited the Superior Wetlands in the past,  but this particular spot, I wish there was more info on it.  I know the odds are extremely unlikely anyone birds the area or has past sightings.  Ive searched eBird, and nothing. The old ponds look amazing for rails/bitterns.  If anyone would have any information, I would love to talk with them.
Was trying for Marsh Wren/rails/bitterns, but no luck.  Birds of note were 2 screech owls and a Winter Wren.

Bryan Smith
Proctorville, OH

Sent from my iPhone