OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2011

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Oct 2011 23:54:16 -0700
I spent some time at and around The Wilds in Muskingum County yesterday
(Saturday 10.22) from 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM.  I have not birded there in quite
awhile so it was interesting to see some changes not only in The Wilds but
surrounding AEP lands as well.  There has been a lot of work done on the
back roads specifically the Prouty, Coal Haul, and Ruraldale road network
system.  Many roads have been grated quite nicely with fresh large aggregate
laid down that should suit birders there this winter well. Not only did the
road maintenance allow for unprecedented access but more gates are open than
I have ever seen there.  Newly installed signs can be seen that read
"Improved Road Access thanks to AEP and the ODNR".  Coincidentally, much of
this project allows increased access to some of the remote ponds which also
have newly applied gravel spurs for parking.  Areas that were once
practically unknown may be more accessible this winter should these gates
remain open into the season.

Highlights of the trip were one Osprey, Greater (6) and Lesser Yellowlegs
(2), and about 35 Tree swallows that spent ten minutes over the long lake on
SR 340 before all heading south together.  Waterfowl included Gadwall, Ruddy
Ducks, Ring Necked Ducks, Green-winged Teal and Mallards.  In the sparrow
dept. I found everything expectable but did not find any Le Conte's or
Nelsons.  I looked in what I thought was appropriate habitat but had no
luck.  I'm going to give certain areas more consistent coverage there next
fall.  I had at least 6 different Northern Harriers throughout the day.
Sharp-shinned harassing a Red-tailed Hawk and literally hundreds of
Meadowlarks and  Field sparrows rounded out a nice day of an overdue visit
to this vast expanse of birding opportunity.

The annually reported shrike(s) usually arrives somewhere around the first 5
days of November.  I will provide future reports.

Thanks,

Glen Crippen

Burr Oak Lake