OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2020

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 2020 20:06:19 -0400
I was going to hit here anyway - its fairly close to my house - well,
30 minutes away! and you never know what will be there. But when
I saw Sanderling....! Wow! I kept my fingers crossed the whole way!
I don't know how rare this is inland - assuming unusual. 27 years
birding in NJ and I am still missing Sanderling for some inland
counties! Also here Dunlin and LB Dow. And yes, the birds
are still moving around. I scan the quarry first as I park
across the street from it. Then walk up to the bridge across
the river. Scan, and return. Scanning the quarry area a second time.
One more of both Yellowlegs, one more Dunlin, no Sanderling,
and picked up the Dow on my second scan. There are edges
to the exposed mud and the birds on the far side of these exposed
mud areas are hidden. So take your time and scan well!

The river was actually full of water. No exposed sand. That was
different! Maybe keeping the shorebirds in the quarry.

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini