OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2021

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 2021 09:06:40 -0400
I managed to miss the kite twice yesterday by only minutes but I can’t try again until tomorrow b/c of work. If someone could let me know at the end of the day about what times and places the bird was seen today (or if...), I’d appreciate it. I don’t need hour by hour reports— it would just frustrate me—but a summary late today so I can plan for Sunday would be great.

Good luck to everyone who tries today—I hope you get it. A lot of it comes down to luck—the bird seems to be using a fairly large area and perching for long periods, not always in a visible spot. I missed the bird the second time just being in the wrong place...having just left the right place...and the geography of my position prevented even a glimpse a birder ahead of me got...

Many thanks to everyone trying to help me get the bird. it’s just an Ohio bird for me but I’d love to see it. I feel for the people for whom it’s a life bird—v frustrating.

My only consolation prize was watching several Bobolinks on both sides of the road singing and doing their display flights in the heat of the afternoon. Always such a delightful display and sound. I also heard at least two Black-billed Cuckoos. Others heard/saw both Grasshopper & Henslow’s Sparrows but I did not altho I wasn’t actively looking for them. I didn’t chase the Upland Sandpiper reported not too far away as I was afraid the minute I left to go get that, I’d have missed the kite. Maybe I should’ve just chased the Sandpiper!

Peggy Wang
Granville
Sent from my iPad