OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2024

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2024 19:13:46 -0500
After having brunch with a friend in Dublin, I headed to Darby Lakes today. Despite the sun, the frigid wind made scanning for very long impossible. I managed to pick up some more ducks for Jan: Redhead, Ring-necked, Am Wigeon & Green-winged Teal. I read about the tundra swan seen there after I got home (seen I think before I arrived)—in any case, I did not see it. I did see the one Cackling Goose amidst the many Canadas.

The feeder by the parking lot only had a few sparrows—2 White-crowneds & a White-throated.

As I was leaving, 6-7 Black Vultures were trying to find some lift. Not sure I’ve seen them there before—one TV as well.

I made a brief stop at Blendon on the way home hoping for a purple finch but no luck—just the usual feeder birds. A bubbler is keeping a small area of Thoreau pond open, but I only saw Canada geese and mallards plus one female ruddy duck.

After warming up at home for a little while, I read that Sandra Keller had had good luck finding horned larks, longspurs & snow buntings on the snow-covered fields down her way so I decided to drive around the Tagg road area to see if I could find anything. Initially, I only picked up a N Harrier female, but finally on a side road I found a big flock feeding frantically in a corn stubble field. I had to brave the bitter wind again to scope them—it was mostly Horned Larks, but there were a few Lapland Longspurs mixed in as well as perhaps a dozen or Snow Buntings, so it was well worth the trip.

Peggy Wang
Granville
Sent from my iPad