OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2013

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kevin Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 2013 14:15:58 -0400
Mary's following post prompted me to mention that I did see Bobolinks and
Dickcissels at Huffman Prairie on Wright-Patterson Air Force Base (near
Fairborn in Greene County and Dayton in Montgomery County).  This was last
Saturday, June 1st.

A few Bobolinks were in the large central portion of the prairie, towards
the southwestern end.  I never saw more than two or three at a time.

There was a handful of Dickcissels, many of them singing from the tops of
small tree and shrubs at the eastern end of the prairie near the shed.

In the area that Mary mentioned on the northern side of the prairie, there
was a lot of activity of more common species such as Common Yellowthroat,
Orchard Oriole, and Indigo Bunting.  A pleasant surprise was a
Ringed-Necked Pheasant scurrying across the road and disappearing into the
grass.

Kevin