OHIO-BIRDS Archives

April 2021

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 2021 17:39:46 -0400
Ellis Lakes wetlands - That field area has more water than my last visit.
Good! Don't want it drying out for shorebirds. Both Yellowlegs there.
Low numbers. Pecs are still in very good numbers there. Picked up
Least Sandpiper. Scope is needed for the far species here. Bins work
for some of the close stuff. 62 BW Teal - nice! Triple my spring high
count from NJ. I like numbers! GW Teal there also. I was just scanning
and listening from the parking lot. One of these days, I'll have to lug
my scope around that far field area. See what I am missing! Maybe a
Ruff hiding out..... I can hope!

Had about an hour here. Kept scanning trees for Purple Finch. Sure....

Met Jen at Gilmore Ponds - we had YT Warblers, YR Warblers, and
Common Yellowthroats - foy for us. I assume Parulas around - everyone
is reporting them! Time of day and the wind were against us here.
Brown Creeper still around. I had a nice look at one in the wet woods
by the main parking lot.

Nature notes - well I finally tracked down a person I was looking forward
to meeting “live”! Picked his brain on just about everything..... thank you
sir! Green Darners are still the only ode I am seeing. Managed a great
pic of one! Even with my broken camera. My replacement was on my
doorstep when I got home. I need the viewfinder!
Black Swallowtail, Orange and clouded sulphurs, and a lone Red-spotted
Purple were foy butterflies for me. Both the Great blue herons and the
Double crested Corms were putting on a great show at their respective
nesting spots. I hope someone is scoping those Corms..... if a nesting
Neotropic near Columbus!

Good birding all. L. Waterthrush is high on my list. They get quiet early
and migrate early in the fall. That would be a big miss!

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini