OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2021

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jon Cefus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Cefus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 2021 06:24:54 -0500
Greetings!

I was perusing the current eBird stats for 2021 and noted that as of this morning 50 of the top 100 Ohio birders in 2021 have seen 100 species or more!  Furthermore, the person at position 100 has 85 species.  With a full weekend left to go in the month, it is conceivable that the top 100 birders in Ohio could all reach 100 species for January here in Ohio!  With all the various factors involved in folks’ ability to get out, that is probably not likely, but still it is pretty remarkable!  Many of these folks have also seen the bulk of their year birds in their home county!

Clearly the passion for birding here in Ohio, a state with in my view some of the best birders in the U.S., remains strong.  As we continue to navigate birding more safely during Covid-19 and without the benefit of birding festivals and regional events like the Wilds Winter Raptor event put on by the Ohio Ornithological Society, folks are finding ways to still get out and see birds.

Kudos to you all!

Jon Cefus
East-Central Ohio Regional Director, Ohio Ornithological Society