OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2008

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bill Stanley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 2008 13:53:53 -0400
While I was leading a bird walk at the Cincinnati Nature Center this morning we found some very interesting birds, but by far the most interesting was an orange variant Scarlet Tanager. We heard a Scarlet Tanager singing near the welcome shack at the entrance to CNC.  When we first found the bird it appeared so orange we thought that we were looking at a Baltimore Oriole, but the bird kept singing like a Scarlet Tanager. Upon closer inspection the larger tanager bill could be seen as well as the tanager body shape (more compact than a Baltimore Oriole).  The bird also had black wings(no wing-bars) and a black tail.  I had heard about orange variant Scarlet Tanagers, but I hadn't seen one before.
We also found a chipping sparrow building a nest near the parking lot.  Yellow-breasted Chats were sitting high in the bushes and singing. Numbers of birds seen were estimated after we were finished with the walk.

Location:     Rowe Woods Nature Center
Observation date:     7/12/08
Number of species:     44

Wood Duck     14