OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2008

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 2008 19:19:24 -0400
I stopped at these two MetroParks southeast of Columbus today, and was treated to good numbers of birds, mostly species that you'd expect at this time of year.  The clear morning, after so many rainy ones, seemed to stimulate lots of song, so most birds were easy to locate.  The water at Pick Ponds and the Chatterton wetlands was very high, so shorebirds were not much in evidence.  Highlights for the morning included:

Great Blue Herons - nests are now both at Ellis POnd (the traditional colony), as well as Teal Pond (a new site at Pick Ponds)

Great Egret - 3-4 were lurking around Teal POnd and nearby Wood Duck marsh.

Green Heron - birds were at both Ellis Pond and Teal Pond.

Cooper's Hawk - a juvenile bird was calling at Portman park, while an adult bird was circling over Arrowhead Marsh at Pick Ponds

Osprey - 2 large youngsters appear to be growing nicely in the Arrowhead marsh nest platform

Barred Owl - one bird was calling quite close to the Ash-Maple Trail at Blacklick Woods

Red-headed Woodpeckers - have been reported several times from the trees south of Arrowhead marsh, but I wasn't able to re-locate them this morning.

E.Kingbirds - individual birds were at many locations, leading me to wonder if they were residents or early migrants

Purple Martins - 2-3 families appear to be using the gourds put up next to Teal Pond, which is a good number for here.

Yellow-throated Warblers - a fledgeling was being fed by adults at Portman Park

Yellow-br. Chat - singing birds were at several sites (Portman Park, Pick Ponds, Chatterton Greenbelt)

Rose-br.Grosbeak - a gorgeous male was singing and visiting the feeders at the Nature Center at Blacklick Woods

Orioles - fledgeling Baltimores were at both Pick Ponds and Portman Park, while singing Orchards were at Portman and Chatterton.