OHIO-BIRDS Archives

May 2021

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2021 22:12:46 -0400
I had an appointment in Lancaster early afternoon but I was able to get a few hours of birding in at clear creek. It was not as leisurely an outing as my usual but I still got some good birds.

A lot of birdsong early on, always a challenge to sort out the songs.

I saw yet another male Kentucky warbler up close and heard at least two others at different locations. After hearing Hoodeds at several places this spring, I finally had a beautiful male perch up in front of me and sing—such a lovely warbler.

I heard a N Waterthrush then saw and later heard a Louisiana at a different spot. True to form, the northern was by still water, the La by Clear Creek which was running high & muddy but not as high as I’ve seen it.

Pine Siskins are pretty widespread it seems. I had a flock of at least 15-20.

Denison Bio Reserve was v quiet but it was worth the walk as I got my FOY E Kingbird. It was catching insects off the surface of wood duck pond—a behavior I don’t think I’ve seen. It made multiple excursions, perching afterwards, fluffing & preening to dry off. V cool to watch.

Clear Creek warblers—H heard only
Tennessee-3 chasing each other
N Waterthrush-H
La Waterthrush