OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2018 15:41:48 +0000
I spent the morning at Lake Erie Bluffs in Lake County from about 7-10. It pays to get there early. Of the 4500 red-breasted mergansers, 4300 passed by before 7:30. Most of the gulls also went by before 7:45. Of note were 57 tundra swans, 2 red-throated loons, and an Iceland gull. On the Lane Road trails, songbird numbers were down, but two catbirds were seen at opposite ends of the trail. Most of the songbirds were in the sheltered from the wind southwest corner of the trail.

Lake Erie Bluffs Metropark--Lane Rd., Lake, Ohio, US
Nov 20, 2018 7:00 AM - 9:45 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.5 mile(s)
Comments:     Cloudy with occasional snow and drizzle. Winds west to northwest 10-20, 35-36 degrees. I watched the lake from 7:00-9:00 and walked the lane Road trails, 9:00-9:45. Most birds were flying west. Of the 4,500 red-breasted mergansers, 4,300 passed by before 7:30. Most of the gulls passed by the first 45 minutes. Songbirds were few and were mainly in southwest corner of the trails, where it was protected by the wind.
35 species (+1 other taxa)

Tundra Swan  57
Mallard  11
Canvasback  4
Greater Scaup  2
Lesser Scaup  86
Greater/Lesser Scaup  140
Common Goldeneye  1
Common Merganser  2
Red-breasted Merganser  4513
Horned Grebe  6
Bonaparte's Gull  8
Ring-billed Gull  1830
Herring Gull  685
Iceland Gull  1     One 3rd year passed by heading west.
Great Black-backed Gull  4
Red-throated Loon  2     Both were observed flying west
Common Loon  43
Bald Eagle  2     2 immatures
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  3
Northern Flicker  1
Blue Jay  2
Black-capped Chickadee  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Carolina Wren  1
Golden-crowned Kinglet  4
American Robin  6
Gray Catbird  2     2 individuals seen at opposite ends of the trails
American Goldfinch  4
American Tree Sparrow  8
Dark-eyed Junco  7
White-crowned Sparrow  2