OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2017

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
George Novosel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Novosel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2017 10:36:46 +0000
Steve Brogis and I spent mid Sunday afternoon 12/3/17 to dusk birding Funk
Bottom and Wilderness Rd area.   Was not to disappoint.
Off of Rt 95 looking south/ southeast we observed 25 white fronted geese
mixed in with a large flock of dabbling ducks ( majority Mallards and
Pintails ) Scope was very helpful.  They were sent to flight with a bald
eagle cruising  over.   In addition 85 Sandhills were seen feeding to the
southeast on a hill toward Elyria Rd.
As we ventured to Wilderness Rd we had 3 northern harriers, a Kestrel, 3
short eared owls,  4 red tails, 2 bald eagles along with 110 Sandhills.
These Sandhills were in a completely different area than the first group.
Can't say for certain if they were one in the same but did seem different.
Throw in various sparrows for good measure.
The harriers and short eared owls were seen looking southeast  from
Wilderness Rd more on the eastern side of Wilderness Rd very close to 5 pm
to slightly after ( at dusk)
All in all a very nice Sunday Birding excursion!