OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2020

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 2020 19:16:45 -0400
Unfortunately, by the time I finished arguing with my gps and succeeded in finding the correct house where the Evening Grosbeaks are being seen, I found out I had just missed seeing them around 3:15pm...

I heard from others on the list (thx!) that they were also seen around 11 and noon.

I won’t be able to try Again until Sunday. I asked one of the family members if visiting on a Sunday would be all right and she said yes.

The feeders are on the left side of the house and it’s a bit difficult to get a clear view of the back feeder. There are some deck steps nearby that offer some elevated viewing. Space is limited so I recommend having a mask with you.

There’s a circular driveway that needs to stay open as vehicles providing transport & buggies use it. There seems to be a small parking area off to the left as you enter the circle going counter-clockwise. Again, I would urge birders to keep the driveways open while also avoiding parking on the grass. This family is incredibly generous to let strangers drive up their long driveway and stand in their yard to try to see these birds! If someone on the list or ebird knows this family, pls give them a heartfelt thank you for putting up with a bunch of crazy birders.

I did see some nice birds at their busy feeders including close to a dozen White-crowned Sparrows (but no White-throated), a mix of juveniles and adults. In addition, there were E bluebirds, one Mockingbird, Hairy, Downy and Red-bellied woodpeckers, small flock of 5 to 6 Pine Siskins, plus House finches and house sparrows. Chickadees, white breasted Nuthatches, cardinals, blue jays and mourning doves.

Peggy Wang
Granville
Sent from my iPad