OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2010

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Terry Sponseller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terry Sponseller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2010 20:06:37 -0400
The Clay-colored Sparrow arrived April 29th and stayed for at least 116 days.  We last observed him on August 22nd.  We were then out of town through the 26th.  We did not see him upon our return on the 27th.  All the Chipping Sparrows have also departed.
Buzzer Boy helped raise two hybrid broods.  The first had three young and the second only one.  Since he was the only one observed feeding the last fledgling we assumed something happened at the nest since we never saw any other young or a Chipping Sparrow feed this bird.  This bird, by the way, turned out to be the closest in looks to the Clay-colored Sparrow.   I believe this is the only offspring that was never photographed.  By this time interest in the bird had waned and the photographers were not around.  However,  as far as we know everyone who came to see the bird saw him .  Many also saw him feeding the young.  It wasn't until the end of July that Buzzer Boy learned to use the feeder. Therefore, not a high rating on the intelligence quotient., but then again he did manage to stay clear of the wild cats in the neighborhood including a couple of my own.  So farewell,  I hope you find a warm place in the Rio Grande Valley for the winter.
Terry and Barb Sponseller
Canton, Ohio