OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2019

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Doug Overacker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Overacker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2019 10:36:05 -0400
Julie and I visited Buck Creek State Park in Clark County this morning. We
started at the north end of the lake and found 3 American White Pelicans. As
we started to walk back to the car we heard some Greater White-fronted Geese
calling. We looked up and saw a flock of about 70 flying over. They circled
around a few times but we didn't see them put down.

Then we drove to the south end of the lake and looked over the lake from the
boat ramp area. We saw lots of Red-breasted Mergansers and scaup including a
couple Greater Scaup. Then we spotted a White-winged Scoter. It flew farther
away and we got the scope on it. Then it came close to a second White-winged
Scoter. There are still several other species of ducks on the lake including
Common Mergansers, Ruddy Ducks, and Common Goldeneyes. We also saw about 20
Common Loons on the lake.

Doug Overacker
Springfield, Ohio