OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2018 14:57:09 -0500
0130:  Long eared Owl called three times from a heavily wooded ravine
along Alum Creek near Champion Golf northeast Columbus

0930: American Pipits (45) narrow band of bare earth Kulhwein Rd.
Battelle Darby area (near the hemlock-shrub "oasis" north side
Kuhlwein).  While scanning snow covered expanse, they flew in, by us
and ditched about 40 ft away, snow edge, roadside.  We watched them,
clamoring over clods, foraging over and around bare spot, 20 min.
Then, in a blink, they were off, bounding low, < than 5 - 6 ft.up,
northward, continuing as far as we could see, until lost.  Typical
American Pipit winter behavior .No Horned Larks, Lapland Longspurs,
Snow Buntings in an hour but probably around....absolutely no other
birds during brief stay.

Good birding everyone.

--
David and Patty Tan