OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2011

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Oct 2011 15:23:30 -0400
I biked around several areas in this sprawling Metropark in south Columbus this morning, looking for waterbirds and temperate migrants.  With water levels still high, I struck out on waterbirds at several locations.  Only Cruiser Pond had anything of note, with 8+ Wood Ducks and 1 Great Egret. Temperate migrants were in much better supply, with good numbers at 3 spots:  the Confluence area, the Borrow Pits (S of I-270), and the Groveport Blacklick BikePath.  The latter bikepath is now a thoroughfare, with the opening of the US33 bikeway bridge, so there were far more people on it than before the bridge opened.  It doesn't seem to have affected the birds, though.  Notables included:

Raptors - Turkey Vultures at many spots, but few other raptors besides residents (Cooper's at GBBP, Red-tail at Confluence)
Woodpeckers - many residents, but no migrants (sapsuckers or Red-headed)
Flycatchers,swallows - a big zero; the late waves of Phoebes and Tree Swallows haven't arrived here yet
Vireos - also a zero
Creepers - 1-2 at most stops, so they're moving in
Kinglets - lots of Golden-crowns at many locations, but only 2 Ruby-crowns (BorrowPits, GBBP)
Thrushes - loads of Robins at all locations, but nothing else noted
Mimids - Catbird at the Confluence area, plus the usual Mockingbird along the Confluence entrance road
CedarWaxwings - good numbers at many locations, topped by 70+ around the Confluence area.

Warblers - Yellow-rumps ascendant, with good #s at every stop.  Also present were 1 Tennessee juv. (GBBP), 1 Magnolia (Confluence), 1 CapeMay (Confl.), 1 Palm (GBBP), and 2 Com.Yellowthroats (Confl., GBBP)

Grosbeaks,Buntings - no Indigos (I didn't stop at Heron Pond, a good spot), but 1 Rose-br.Grosbeak was around the Borrow Pits.

Sparrows - good #s, with small flocks of White-throats and Songs, and small #s of Towhees, Chipping, Field, and Swamp.  1 Savannah was at Cruiser Pond.

Blackbirds - small flocks of Redwings flying south overhead all morning; single Cowbird (Confl.) and Grackle (GBBP), but no Meadowlarks or Rusties.