OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2011

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Noah Comet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Noah Comet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Oct 2011 08:18:13 -0400
As a Cleveland eastsider, I'm always thrilled when last-minute-needs take me
to Lorain county because it means another of those all-too-infrequent
spontaneous visits to Sandy Ridge, which never disappoint.  Yesterday
afternoon was no exception.

I had a terrific time watching two different Kingfishers at the ponds very
actively and successfully fishing.  Coots were everywhere and were also very
active, along with the usual assortment of Herons, Egrets, and (the pair of)
Swans.  A lone Bald Eagle was perched along the distant treeline behind the
pond, keeping an eye on everything.

The big surprise for me at Sandy Ridge was a massive swarm (several hundred,
possibly more than a thousand) Herring Gulls (from the looks of them) over
the ponds.  I usually see many gulls in the housing development adjacent to
the park, from which the Eagle nest is most visible, but not in the park
itself, and I've never seen them in such numbers!

As usual, after Sandy Ridge I drove over to Elywood Park to see if the
Barred Owls were visible in their sycamore "basket nest."  The foliage is
now thin enough to allow for very good looks at the nest, but there were no
Owls to see.  Granted, it's not nesting-time yet, but I've found that they
tend to stay there even during the off-season.  Hopefully they'll be around
again this winter, as it's a wonderfully reliable and photogenic spot for
these birds.

Best,
Noah